TITLE Oceans Without Borders Zanzibar Project Manager
LOCATION &Beyond Mnemba Island
&Beyond is built, almost entirely, on the strength of remarkable people who give passionately to their jobs, work tirelessly, look after our guests beautifully and care for the communities and environment which surrounds us. Every single ‘&Beyonder’ makes a huge difference to our success and our contribution to the world, regardless of their role or function. For this reason, we choose ‘&Beyonders’ very carefully – they are the strength and the future of this company.
Oceans Without Borders (OWB) is a collaboration between &Beyond and Africa Foundation (AF), that strives to catalyse positive change across our marine footprint which include the seascapes of Zanzibar, the Quirimbas Archipelago, the Bazaruto Archipelago and Maputaland to leave our oceans a better place by applying our proven care-trilogy to the ocean, marine wildlife, and coastal communities, never forgetting that our &Beyond guest experience lies at the heart of our vision.
Oceans Without Borders Objectives
- Objective 1 (Baseline)
To facilitate world class research in order to inform decision making and track progress.
• Objective 2 (Care of the Ocean)
Support the improved effectiveness of marine habitat conservation and the establishment or enlargement of marine protected areas (MPAs), seeking higher conservation status.
- Objective 3 (Care of the Wildlife)
Support the protection of iconic species.
• Objective 4 (Care of the People)
Through collaboration and coordination with local communities, facilitate community-lead development of sustainable marine resource use practices, and alternative revenue and food sources that reduce marine dependency.
• Objective 5 (Global Reach)
Multiply positive impact on oceans globally through the engagement and education of &BEYOND guests and collaboration with international initiatives.
KEY OUTPUTS & REPONSIBILITIES:
• Under the guidance of the OWB programme manager, oversee the daily programme of OWB in order to fulfil the OWB objectives, including;
- Management of the Conservation and Community ranger team; supervision of daily tasks, capacity building and deliverables
- All monitoring and research programmes on the island and under the water
- Liaising closely with other Impact teams including Future Foundations, Future Leaders and Thriving Communities and be comfortable communicating those projects and programmes to both guests and lodge management
- Assist and support the Future Leaders team in conservation education both in local communities and amongst lodge staff.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with various stakeholders that will facilitate OWB objectives.
- Be responsible for the management of OWB research infrastructure and equipment maintenance (including OWB house, OWB area of Dive shop, OWB boat, dive gear)
• Lodge Guests
- Meet with guests and explain OWB roles on the island and under the water and present on OWB to guests when required.
- Be comfortable with presenting all Impact projects across the combined programmes of Conserve Biospheres Future Foundations, Future Leaders and Thriving Communities
- Be pro-active in fund raising efforts from Guests on the Island across Impact projects
- Accommodate guests and, donors on research activities when required.
- Communication & Reporting:
o Attend the daily morning meeting for updates and to plan the day with the General Managers
- Report on project activities to the OWB Programme Programme Manager, The andBeyond Mnemba GM and the Africa Foundation East Africa Regional Manager
o Report data monthly to &Beyond Lodge GM for Impact reporting and monitoring purpose
Under the direction of the OWB programme Manager, work with the Impact insights team to collect, clean and report on OWB Impact and project data
o Photographic and status reporting as required by donors, or other OWB stakeholders
- Attend Africa Foundation East Africa Weekly Ops Meeting
QUALIFICATION and SKILLS REQUIRED:
- A background in marine biology/ conservation is required
- At least a post graduate Honours qualification and a Masters would be an advantage
- Fluent written and spoken English, proficiency in KiSwahili would be an advantage
- Tanzanian skipper’s licence strongly preferred
- Excellent water proficiency; Advanced Open Water Diver Certification or higher preferred
- Computer competency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Teams and Outlook
- Good report writing abilities
- Good data analysis skills
- Good organizational and project management skills required to oversee numerous conservation, research and educational projects
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good presentation/public speaking skills
- Willingness to travel occasionally to other OWB focus sites, including internationally, to attend marine ranger forums, conferences and training opportunities
- Bright, enthusiastic, energetic and caring personalities
- Palpable passion for diving, marine life and conservation
- Smart, clean, presentable appearance
- Hard working and highly self-motivated
- Excellent team player, relates well to others
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- This is a permanent live in position for an individual, based at Mnemba Island, Zanzibar, Tanzania.
- Board and lodging provided.
- Salary and benefits – TBA